I recently installed Windows 10 on my PC knowing the fact that it is mandatory in Windows 10 to install updates automatically. I don’t like things going on in background without my knowledge. Also I have a metered internet connection so I can’t afford that. So I found a simple fix that stops Windows from downloading and installing updates automatically. So if you want to stop automatic updates, follow these simple steps:
- Press WinKey+R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “services.msc” without the quotes and hit “Enter”.
- Here you’ll see a list of all the services that are running on your computer. Scroll all the way down and find “Windows Update”.
- Right-click it and select “Properties”.
- Click on the “Stop” button to first stop the service.
- Once the service stops, select “Disabled” from the options in “Startup type”.
- Click “Apply” and exit.
Done. No automatic updates will take place now. But also note that all kinds of updates will stop. For example, Windows store updates too will stop. You wouldn’t be able to open the store. So whenever you need to update your apps or Windows you will have to set the “Startup type” property of the service back to “Manual”.
Hope that helps.